Of House-helps, Live-In vs Day; Pros & Cons
Of House-girls, Live-InDay
I wonder if I’m the only one who does the proscons of every situation. One that has been on my mind of late is the house-girl situation. There are pros of having a live-in one,cons as well. And the same goes for one who comesgoes on a daily basis.
I will share my thoughts here,invite you to share yours too, which one you’d prefer,why.
Mostly, house-girls are there to help women. Why do I say so? Women nowadays go to work, but still have the home responsibilities waiting for them, e.g.
- Children – feeding, bathing
- Housework – washing dishes, clothes, floor, shoes
- Organizing – clothes, shoes, rooms
- Shopping for the home
Women also need time for themselves. They have so much to do,so must either organize their time very well if they are to do it all, or delegate some of the activities. A regular woman today has the following to juggle. She may do them all, or fail to have time or money for some of them.
- Family care
- Personal time e.g. to think about your dreams, ambitions
- Shopping – for the family, for self
- Time with friends e.g. attending weddings, simply visiting, girl-time
- Time with family (of origin,in-laws)
- Family outings e.g. swimming, eating out
- Religious/church activities e.g. worship team, weekday bible study
- Education e.g. furthering your studies
- Be involved in some charitable activity e.g. planting trees, helping out street or less fortunate children, etc
With all that to juggle, it makes sense to hire some help , in order to get all those things efficiently done. Generally, house-girls help us do a lot of work,free us to do some other things that we would otherwise not be able to do. They also come with some extra expenses, I guess because what they are is not theirs, so they don’t really steward it well, e.g. cooking food with a lot of oil,generally running up the utilities really fast. I remember the first time I got someone to help, tissue rolls were getting used up at the rate of one per day, whereas a 10-pack used to last for a month. Hmmm!
A LIVE-IN HOUSE-GIRL/HELP
Pros of a live in house-girl
- You can leave earlycome back late
- There’s always someone at home to take care of the kidsthings
Cons of a live-in house-girl
- The budget doubles – I don’t know how, but it does. Food, utilities,etc
- You have to make adjustments to accommodate her in terms of conversation, style, activities
- She make ask for an off-day on the day you need her most
- If she has the privilege of going home every so often, she could slowly steal from you
- If you are away for an extended period of time, she may have some ‘extracurricular activities’ that you may not like
- For married couples, a lot of stuff is relegated to the bedroom only e.g. conversations about money, disagreements, you know, etc
- If she decides to go, you are really thrown off-balance because she intricately knows the routine of the home
- It’s quite a set-back when she leaves especially if you haven’t been doing much housework
- It can be hard to set a curfew for her because she’s an independent adult
A DAY HOUSE-GIRL/HELP
Pros of a day house-girl
- She comesgoes at set times, leaving the morningsevenings just for family
- She doesn’t use up much of the house budget save say for lunchten o’clock tea
- The family time can be relaxedtotally accommodative to the family members
- She doesn’t come on certain days e.g. weekends, so that’s left purely for family
- It allows you to still do some house-work, thus remaining actively involved in your family’s life
- Her departure allows you time to inspect her work thoroughly without feeling that you’ll hurt her feelings
- If something annoys you, you have the night to cool off before addressing the issue on the next day
- If you’re going out as a family, you don’t have to worry about whether or not she’ll fit in, or about extra expenses, making her feel out-of-place, etc.
Cons of a day house-girl
- You can only leave (e.g. for work) when she comes
- You have to hurry to get home – so you really don’t have much of a ‘life’ save for workhome
- She may have things that delay her arrival, thus delaying you as well
- She may fail to show up altogether, leaving you in a rude shock
- You may not be able to take up evening classes
- You may not be able to go for official trips that take days
If you get a good one, whichever the case may be, it is really a good experience. If you get a bad one, only God can give you the grace to cope. Let me know your thoughts on the same.