Pain and suffering are unpleasant things in our lives. I recently meditated on how they can possibly be of any importance in our lives, and this is what I came up with.
David in the Bible ran to God when he was in trouble. Paul encouraged believers after going through suffering himself. And here is what I have learnt from my own experiences.
Purpose of Pain and Suffering
1. Draw us closer to God – it gets our attention and makes us run to Him
2. Make us stronger and courageous for the trials to come
3. Make us better ministers – because we can understand others better
4. Equip us to teach others
5. Give us a chance to know God better e.g. experience His faithfulness, provision, protection, healing, care, love, encouragement, support, etc
6. Show us that God is sovereign whether or not our prayers for relief are answered
7. Teach us to obey God no matter our feelings, for the best results in line with His will
8. Teach us to be grateful for the things that are going right in our lives, realizing that they could be worse, too
May God enable you to make sense of your suffering, and give you solutions for those problems, too.
In Christ’s love,