Dying To Self – The Amazing Prov. 31 Woman
Dying To Self – The Amazing Prov. 31 Woman
– All I have, I have been given, therefore freely give. (Bible)
– I have been given by God,by others
– E.g. talents, food, clothing, shelter, time, abilities, skills, etc.
Dying to self means:-
– Not watching out for the interests of self
– Living for the sake of another,not self
– Spendingbeing spent for another/others
– Not being overly concerned about the wellnessrights of self
It means trusting in God to take care of you, because:-
– You are important – because He made you,that’s also why He made you
– You do have something of value to offer
– God cares for you
– God loves you
– God has good plans for you
– God knows what you truly need – needs that no one else, not even you, can meet for yourself
– Trusting in God to watch out for your
- Rights – perceived,others
It means not rushing to do these things for yourself, because in pursuit of them, you:-
– Can go overboardhurt others
– Can go overboardmake a fool of yourself
– Can go overboard at the expense of spreading the gospel
– Can go overboard at the expense of loving childrenothers
– Can get so absorbed in self, such that the goals that are reached are very local,of passing/fading impact
However, if we trust God to take care of us, because He always has, always will,has 100% of the time done a good job, then we will:-
– Be relaxed (in God) about our identity, worthpurpose
– Will be fully surrendered to Him to meet our needs
– Will be focused on achieving goals that go beyond our limited timespace of influence
– Will do things that outlive us
– Will do things that bless others
– Will do things that live a positive, lasting legacy
– Will be unbothered about titlesappearances
Does this mean that we are not important,that we should totally abandon/neglect ourselves for the sake of others?
– On the contrary, NO! it means that we are so important, that God has chosen to entrust us with His most precious possession – people.
– And He expects us to take good care of them, because He knows that we can. He has given us that ability, to love others His love.
Then why is it so hard???
– Because we have wrongly shifted the focus from Him to us
– We want the creditrecognition from man
– We have a sense of entitlement – yet all that we have, we have been freely given
– Because we have been wrongly cultured that we are only important if we are on top shining, calling the shots
However, that is quite a great responsibility to put on ourselves. It we left it to God to createsustain our value for us, we would do much betterhave a much simpler life, because:-
– A good name comes from the Lord
– Cursed is the man who trusts in man, e.g. Saul. Go rejected him for choosing to please man instead of God.
– A true sense of worth comes from affirmation from The Greatest, not from the “commons”
– As a vessel, e.g. a pipe, ours is to receivepass on the contents to the user. Be a channel,not a hoarder. Channeling is much easier than managing, e.g. a valve.
So why don’t we do it?
– We first want assurance that we are worthy, specialimportant
– And well, we are. You are. Because God made you,made you His workmanship. You are the apple of His eye. He has written your name on the palm of His hand. He remembers you. He has given you the special talents, skills, abilities, educationexperience that you have. He has entrusted you with the members of your family. With the friends that you have,with those who look up to you. He thinks you are great!
So what will you do?
– I will ask Him for forgiveness where I have failed
– I will ask for His grace to help me understand His love,be influencedled by it
– I will ask for courage to do seemingly basedemeaning things, remembering that Jesus washed His disciples feed even though He was God. But He did so because He knew who He was, not to seek affirmation or prove a point. I will pray for the same grace, the same mind of Christ.
– I will readmeditate on His word:-
- To get affirmationassurance about my identity, worthpurpose in Him
- To receive t he chargeauthority to carry out His will
– Then go on to do what I ought to do, according to God’s word, seeing as He is the One who sent me,the One I am accountable to,the One I will stand before on the day of judgment.
– Also doing so in faith, knowing that God, not man, is the great rewarder,He will reward the misthos-apodidomai way, return to you what you have spent,then give you more as a reward/gift. That’s way better than any man can do!
– It is not easy to come to the conclusion to start doing this, because it may call for turning the other cheek sometimes. But is it worth it? YES.
– For a good conscienceconfidence, knowing you did the right thing,for the reward that God will give, both in this lifetimein eternity.
So how does all this add up to make the Prov. 31 woman?
– Because being a wifemother is often a thankless job
– In all the description, we see the woman giving
– Only one verse tells us about her being given,even then, she is receiving the fruit of her labor (V.31)
– The Prov. 31 Woman has died to herself. This is the ultimate beginning of a life of purpose.
God help us all!!! Amen.